Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Technical
 Help!
 Identification tag on Rapier Series V

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Stella Posted - 17 Oct 2011 : 06:33:55
Hi Folks

Have you any idea what the following identification tag is. It is placed on the front crosspanel, the opposite side to the Constructors plaque, and it reads: "SRTR 031730" It is securely screwed on and painted bright red. It obviously has a purpose, but I can't fathom it..

many thanks

Stella
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Paul Posted - 04 Nov 2011 : 17:27:11
To the best of my knowledge, Rootes didn't assemble any cars in France. If it's a CKD assembled abroad, the chassis number should start B3259 instead of B3250. I believe models for sale in France also had the chassis number stamped into the body somewhere in the engine compartment because the riveted chassis plates are too easy to remove.

My Alpine won't float! I need one which does!!
Stella Posted - 04 Nov 2011 : 14:07:32
Hi everyone

I have been chatting to a frenchman who has owned a french-built Rapier Series V from new! Chatting via his mobile phone, he had a look under his bonnet and, yes, there is the same sort of tag as under my bonnet. (He admits that he has no idea what it is about.) He said his car was supplied through Simca on the Champs Elysée and of course his is left-hand drive. Thanks to your info, I was able to tell him that in all probability it was the body no. The really strange thing is he also owns a Triumph TR4A (just like my husband) although his is with IRS and ours is with the solid axle.

Anyway, we had quite an interesting discussion and are possibly meeting up next Summer.

regards

Stella

quote:
Originally posted by bigt80

Can't comment on SRTR, but that is the body no. that was allocated on the assbly line. I think it identifed what it was going to be as it went along the line as on Fastbacks the prefix was different as to whether Rapier, Alpine or H120. I'm guessing here, but I think this went on at start of production whereas chassis plate went on at the end.

bigt80 Posted - 18 Oct 2011 : 22:18:16
Can't comment on SRTR, but that is the body no. that was allocated on the assbly line. I think it identifed what it was going to be as it went along the line as on Fastbacks the prefix was different as to whether Rapier, Alpine or H120. I'm guessing here, but I think this went on at start of production whereas chassis plate went on at the end.
Paul Posted - 17 Oct 2011 : 15:02:03
1730 and 1723 are awfully close. - That's the order of difference we find in Alpines so I suspect I may be right.

Stella Posted - 17 Oct 2011 : 12:34:43
Hi Paul, Thanks for your help but not sure if it applies here

My Chassis and engine No: B 325001723 HHO

My Unknown Red Tag: SRTR 031730

Hopefully someone will look under the bonnet of another Series V to see if they have a similar tag...

regards

Stella

quote:
Originally posted by Paul

Forgive me if I'm way off line here but could it be a Rapier equivalent to the Alpine sports cars' SAL plates and Tiger JAL plates? These indicate the body number before the body was mated to its engine which had the chassis plate loosely attached with a number which matched the engine number. This plate was then removed from the engine and riveted to the body shell thus giving the car a chassis number which matched the engine number.

JAL stood for Jensen Assembly Line and SAL stood for Sunbeam Assembly Line. - Could SRTR stand for something like Sunbeam Rapier TRack?

Paul Posted - 17 Oct 2011 : 09:06:47
Forgive me if I'm way off line here but could it be a Rapier equivalent to the Alpine sports cars' SAL plates and Tiger JAL plates? These indicate the body number before the body was mated to its engine which had the chassis plate loosely attached with a number which matched the engine number. This plate was then removed from the engine and riveted to the body shell thus giving the car a chassis number which matched the engine number.

JAL stood for Jensen Assembly Line and SAL stood for Sunbeam Assembly Line. - Could SRTR stand for something like Sunbeam Rapier TRack?

Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000