Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Gallery
 Your Restorations
 The Kack-Hander

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
bigt80 Posted - 08 Oct 2012 : 21:16:27
As I've made a bit of progress recommissioning this car I bought in 2006, which hasn't been on the road since 1976, I thought I'd post a couple of pics of it.
Some of you will have seen it in the club mag a while back. Recent work has been brakes. The next is to clean up the rust patches underneath, treat and oil the rest of the chassis. Work under the bonnet has been done and g'box oil changed for 20w/50 from the Hypoid that was in there. The axle oil looked OK, so left that for now. Main thing will be to try and free off the clutch once it is running. Now I've got a pedal that actually does something, I'm hopeful without it having to be stripped down.
I'll update on progress in the next month or so. Body is pretty good, but lots of patches of flaking paint, but this will have to wait. I want to get it running first and ideally through an MOT early next year.
G.

11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bigt80 Posted - 28 May 2013 : 20:07:34
Update: seat belts fixed, but spring clamps rusted badly; so getting new. Also carbs won't run lean enough, so having to rebuild with new seals. Once that is done and they are set up it will be off for MOT
bigt80 Posted - 23 Apr 2013 : 21:04:30
Well, I finally got to drive it 4kms back to my aunts to give it a clean off ready for MOT last Friday which was all booked. 2 last minute seat belt problems:-
1) The chap who owned it before must have been a slim fellow, as I could not get the belt on and 36 years of being laid up meant the belt was welded to the mounting and it took 30mins to gain an extra inch or two to get it to fit. So that was OK
2) The passenger belt had not been attached to the rear quarter; just tucked behind the rear seat! There is not even a hole for it, so I need to find some mounting bolts and drill holes before next MOT booking - could not very well turn up for one with a belt that did not work. Also rear spring 'clamp' rusted through and broke off, but not sure if this is an MOT failure?
So probably a 2-week delay; still the short drive confirmed it seems to run well, albeit a bit rich on the mixture. Odd though sitting next to the kerb and my 2nd to 3rd technique needs a bit of work.
Hope to report good news in the next couple of weeks, but it won't be at the AGM on Sunday!
Cheers.
G.
Fastback Thomas Posted - 11 Mar 2013 : 19:22:15
Good job Glen!!
Keep up the good work!
You're going to get her ready for the national in August!

Wish I could get mine ready to but I'm afraid that it'll never get done by then, but I'll come over in my granddad's rapier anyhow!!

'68 sunbeam rapier fastback {B341006846 OD/LHO}
I like a car that looks normal but really knocks your socks off!!
bigt80 Posted - 08 Mar 2013 : 09:34:35
Well a quick update: no pics I'm afraid as externally and internally it doesn't look any different! Work since Dec.
Cleaned off underneath: one X-member needed welding
Rust proofed rusty bits and painted entire underside in old engine oil incl wings and front panel.
Brakes, wheel bearing's done.
Exhaust on
Clutch master and slave done and now clutch free as pedal was actually doing something!
Lots of starting problems incl DOA condenser and poor quality points
Recently collapsed fuel line between pump and carb. Now running pretty well.
Work to do - get servo connected: fact it was disconnected makes me think it was sticking on?
General clean up and then in for MOT
Driver window winder u/s, but as a passenger one normally, I hope to find one of these in a couple of spare doors I have.
So not far away from seeing how it drives!
Will update you all. Cheers. G
pruyter Posted - 05 Dec 2012 : 12:25:50
Rootes Club Nederland has 5 fastback Rapiers on its member list.
Fastback Thomas Posted - 05 Dec 2012 : 11:06:47
We have 2 and I know of an automatic one in Holland..

Btw Glen, I've put myself in front of a deadline.. Your national event next summer...
Going to be welding like crazy during the christmas holidays!

65beam Posted - 05 Dec 2012 : 04:04:12
i have wondered how many fastbacks were sent to the US and how many total cars rolled off the line. there aren't that many of them left here. they didn't seem to be a big seller. you can find photos of my 69 GT on my photobucket. http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/tt142/65beam/ this car is the fifth one i've had. i have now parted and scrapped the others.
HunterGLS Posted - 04 Dec 2012 : 22:33:33
How many LHD models were made and how many survive?

1972 Hillman Hunter GLS
1973 NSU Ro 80
1974 Fiat 130 Coupe
1973 Audi 100 GL
1979 Audi 100 Avant
1981 Audi 200 5T
1982 Audi 100 CS
bigt80 Posted - 04 Dec 2012 : 21:00:22
Thanks Thomas, I did some further work, but so dark in cousins workshop that could not get any decent shots. When I left last Friday he was going to weld the one outrigger that is rotten. All the rest cleaned up and treated and I spent an afternoon painting underside with old engine oil. Exhaust now on, but problem firing it up: intermittent spark, so could be coil. I didn't replace that as it fired up OK on old points/cap/rotor/condenser, but I expect one of those could be DOA. After that it is trying to free clutch off and then not far from trying for MOT! Try for some pics again next week. G.
Fastback Thomas Posted - 28 Nov 2012 : 13:03:42
Nice to see you're slowly but surely getting there Glen!
Not much progress here.. to much other stuff to do I'm afraid..

bigt80 Posted - 27 Nov 2012 : 21:37:08
Been doing a bit more work to the underside today: a basic clean off which revealed one outrigger that will need plating + a few pock marks on o/s rear inner sill and the rear valance has a few holes. I've rust-proofed the other bits and will get the old engine oil out on the remainder tomorrow and also fit exhaust: hopefully we'll then try another fire up - the 3rd in 34 years! Will try and get a few pics when I go down tomorrow. Cheers. Glen.

Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000