Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Spotted
 sitting in a garden

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
chazr Posted - 19 Mar 2013 : 18:04:15

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
arrocuda Posted - 07 May 2015 : 08:03:36
quote:
Originally posted by chazr

front end of drivers wing gone bottom of boot lid gone and a couple of plates need welding on the floor, apart from that everything else works.

So.... it's a good one then. I always thought that the rear wings were off a Ford Zodiac, but looking closer at this pic you've posted they look as if he's capped the 'notch' and found the lens's to fit. TBH I think it would look better without the side panels (not sure what he was thinking there), and some large rear fins fitting from an old yank. Caddy or DeSoto would look cool.

Building the 'Mark II' fastback Rapier ('Arrocuda').
chazr Posted - 06 May 2015 : 19:56:09

top one was just after we got her home and then we gave her a wash,photo looks better than she actually is, front end of drivers wing gone bottom of boot lid gone and a couple of plates need welding on the floor, apart from that everything else works.
arrocuda Posted - 30 Apr 2015 : 13:06:33
Nice one Chaz!! Was beginning to think that someone was going to turn it into some kind of overgrown garden ornament. A 'Sunbeam Gazebo' does have a certain ring to it.

JPSH120 Posted - 30 Apr 2015 : 07:12:50
Well done. Does it still look like that?!

chazr Posted - 29 Apr 2015 : 20:41:42
Hi there remember this one

well i went to see it again and now i own it
arrocuda Posted - 08 Jan 2014 : 15:00:09
quote:
Originally posted by HunterGLS

Is that the "Yorkshire Rapier"? I remember reading a magazine article years ago.

TBH I don't know anything more about the car than is already in the post. Anyone know if the car is known to the club?

We were talking about Chrysler 180's earlier in the thread and came across this sketch on the ARON web site.

Sketched by Nigel Garton, this interesting one-off was spotted in the early 1970s: He says.... "…on one of my trips to Whitley as an Austin Morris Product Planner, carrying out one of the regular vehicle swops which we used to do with rivals, I saw a Two-door 180 driving around! Because of the fairly steep rear window, it looked quite Coupe-ish, but I reckoned it was exactly the same wheelbase and profile as the 4 door. I did this sketch of it for my management…"

Then a few weeks later I came across this.....

The one that got away!!

HunterGLS Posted - 27 Sep 2013 : 11:36:04
Is that the "Yorkshire Rapier"? I remember reading a magazine article years ago.
arrocuda Posted - 27 Sep 2013 : 10:13:56
Came across another custom Rapier pic by accident. It's the targa top Rapier we discussed in another thread a while ago. It's a pic taken from Street Machine magazine and has some interesting text regarding the build.

Although it kind of undermines the whole concept of a pillarless coupe.... aesthetically, I think it looks very pleasing. Love it!

arrocuda Posted - 13 Jul 2013 : 08:51:07
TBH Jan I'm a big fan of outrageous cars but trying to stay on topic so I just snuck that one in there. There's lots of dedicated customs and rodding sites on the net for folks that are interested, so is not much point me hogging the bandwidth with pics of cars that don't have a Rootes connection.

So I'll sneak another one in for all you secret outrageous custom fans on here that isn't Rapier... but is Rootes!

If it wasn't for the distinctive swage line in the body side it would be difficult to identify it as a Rootes product, but for the less observant, the car's name should give you a big clue!

janmarine3 Posted - 13 Jul 2013 : 06:48:54
I have seen some pretty outrageous vehicles in my lifetime , but outrageous humans moved into first place these last few years....

I recall a Fiat 500 with a V8 engine in, the driver sat on top of the engine, I think the 0-100 probably came up in minus something seconds and all the windows in the viscinity probably shattered...
arrocuda Posted - 11 Jul 2013 : 18:22:34
Not done yet Jan!

This one was at Whitby Kustom show last year. Is held in November as part of the 'Goths and Rodders' weekend. Probably the only car show where some of the visitors can be more outrageous than the cars. This car is fairly mild compared with some of the other entrants.

.....but this car isn't!

janmarine3 Posted - 11 Jul 2013 : 07:40:12
Something there for every taste, very interesting pic's thanks
arrocuda Posted - 10 Jul 2013 : 10:04:30
Came across another interesting custom fastback Rapier but I can't 'steal' the pics as they are copyright blocked, but can post links. This one has been modified with a V6, doesn't say what type but think it's a Ford and get this..... suicide doors!!

Not sure what the hell is going on with the front end though.... but it's what ever floats yer boat I guess.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/allenthepostman/1889629667/in/photostream/
You need to click the right hand arrow to see all the pics.

1922 Posted - 02 Jul 2013 : 18:20:49
There was V6 engine, it was meant for the Chrysler 180. They built and tested prototypes in the Avenger but the engine never made it to production.
It as 2.5 litre I think - it's mentioned in Graham Robson's "Cars of the Rootes Group".

janmarine3 Posted - 18 Jun 2013 : 12:40:46
Thanks for the info.
I could never understand why Rootes vehicles never really took off.
As you say though...'poor marketing' by Chrysler.
Things could have been so much different today.

Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000