Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Technical
 Information
 manifold gasket

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
johnc Posted - 22 Mar 2017 : 13:57:54
Hi all,
I'm replacing the manifold gasket on my SIV and have obtained a 'one' piece one from Speedy Spares.The OE is a two piece which I have found difficult to get a gas seal.My question is are these one piece gaskets any better or indeed does anyone have any thoughts?
Cheers
John
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
pruyter Posted - 23 Mar 2017 : 11:59:48
Hi John,

I see no problem in doing what you suggest, in fact in the USA the owners of Alpines have used their gaskets up to five times again without any nasty consequenses.
I have very good experience with silicone blue gasket which is resistent to high engine temperatures. In fact I have used it to seal the engine of my brothers Alpine engine which was leaking all over the place. For the first time in 20 years there is no drop of oil leakage with that engine. Very very important is to use the silicone gasket the right way which is: smear the gasket on the place where you want it, wait a few minutes and then fasten the particular part finger tight. Wait for half an hour and fasten this part with hand force. Wait again half an hour and then fasten it to the specific torque.
The idea behind this is that the silicone gasket needs time to reach the fase of "kind of rubber" and if you should fasten the part to quickly the siicone gasket is squeezed out.
I have used this procedure on the sump of the Alpine and it really works. I got this idea from a US Alpine owner.

Regards,

Peter
johnc Posted - 23 Mar 2017 : 10:06:24
Hi Peter,
I was considering reusing the metal outer gasket, which is in good condition with the new inner gasket, what do you think?
If I choose to reuse both the 'old' gaskets, properly cleaned is there a specific type of silicone sealant you would suggest.
Regards
John
pruyter Posted - 23 Mar 2017 : 08:46:16
Hi John,

I guess you know how to install the two piece gasket correctly, but still I pass to you the right method: Fiber on the inside (next to the block). Metal on the outsidee with dimples facing the intake manifold.
Tighten bolts when hot with a torque between 14 and 19 lbs.
When you have a vacuum leak, which is caused by the gaskets, then usually the leak is at the corners of the manifold.
Good results were achieved by putting silicone gasket on both side of the fiber gasket and a dab of silicone gasket ONLY around the dimples to the intake manifold.
But in principle the gasket should work without any sort of extra sealer.

Regards,

Peter
pruyter Posted - 23 Mar 2017 : 08:44:27
Hi John,

I guess you know how to install the two piece gasket correctly, but still I pass to you the right method: Fiber on the inside (next to the block). Metal on the outsidee with dimples facing the intake manifold.
Tighten bolts when hot with a torque between 14 and 19 lbs.
When you have a vacuum leak, which is caused by the gaskets, then usually the leak is at the corners of the manifold.
Good results were achieved by putting silicone gasket on both side of the fiber gasket and a dab of silicone gasket ONLY around the dimples to the intake manifold.
But in principle the gasket should work without any sort of extra sealer.

Regards,

Peter
johnc Posted - 22 Mar 2017 : 19:33:47
Hi Peter,
Thanks for your knowledgeable input as always.
The two piece was in a new old stock gasket set I bought several years ago when I rebuilt the engine.
In case the exhaust manifold may be warped it is at the machine shop for checking/refacing,hopefully this will resolve the poor sealing and the single gasket will be OK.
Regards
John
pruyter Posted - 22 Mar 2017 : 15:12:10
Hi John,

When installing the Webcon conversion on my Series IV I could choose out both options and I went for the two piece, because I had been reading about the bad experiences Alpine owners had with the one piece gasket. For the record that were Alpine owners in the USA.
Recently I installed a Webcon conversion on the Alpine of my brother and I did not had the luxury of two options, so I was forced to use the one piece gasket. So far we did not experience any trouble, but the car has not many km's on it. Future will show.
Trouble is that obtaining the two piece gasket is about impossible, so you are kind of forced to use the one piece gasket....

Regards,

Peter

Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000