Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Technical
 Help!
 Gearbox renovation dummy shafts

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Royston Posted - 13 May 2017 : 09:51:20
Hi, I am about to attempt a renovation of my Series3 gearbox/overdrive. the workshop manual suggests using dummy shafts to help remove the selector shafts without losing the spring loaded ball bearings. rather than try and make my own I wonder if anyone has a set I could borrow ?
I will be going to the AGM tomorrow and if anyone could help we could meet there. also if anyone has advice or experience I'd be glad to talk to you, to pick your brains !
I have Oil leaks from both ends, and jumps out of gear when de-accelerating.
anyhow see some of you tmrw.

Royston
with a Sunbeam in my life
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
TCSEA Posted - 28 Sep 2017 : 16:37:16
That might be helpful, thanks.

Yes, 'very very' meant that people could hear me pulling away even if they were stood some distance off :-(

I'm assuming that something wasn't assembled correctly, it does look as if someone has been in there before now.

I suppose I could run the gearbox using something like a drill to check if it still makes a lot of noise or not, but the acid test will be once it is back in the car :-)

I have another gearbox in the car at the moment which has the same habit as you had originally, Royston, in that it will drop out of top on the over-run, so when the foot is off the throttle and usually when driving downhill. It is a little difficult to find a gear again once it has done that.

When I do swap these back over, I'll strip down that second box to see what I can see.

Thanks again.
Regards,
Terry
bigt80 Posted - 28 Sep 2017 : 09:03:58
Seeing this thread reminds me I forgot to ask my mechanic chap. Maybe academic now if you've finished the re-build?
As for noisy 1st gear, as mention by the man across the pond; from memory being non-synchro, they always sounded a bit noisy, but "very very" seems to suggest something isn't right. Again - I'll ask the chap I know: If I remember!
Cheers. G.
TCSEA Posted - 22 Sep 2017 : 10:16:56
Hello Royston.

I was interested to find this discussion.

How did the gearbox renovation end up?

I've just stripped down, checked and put back together the gearbox from our own Series IIIA. It had ( and maybe still has ) a very ( very ) noisy first gear. I thought it might be interesting to compare notes.

I expected to find something wrong but all seems to be in order. There is a small amount of radial play in the 1st / 2nd gear selector, but I'd have thought nothing serious.

I've had a look on the 'net, and apart from one in the US I haven't yet located a NOS selector.

There was a time when I'd never have considered working on gearbox innards, but they aren't actually that complicated, are they. It's certainly an interesting job to tackle, isn't it :-)

Regards,
Terry
bigt80 Posted - 15 May 2017 : 15:54:25
Nice to see you yesterday Royston; sorry it was all a bit frantic for me, with parts to off-load and a committee meeting after the AGM.
As I said I will ask my mechanic friend when I see him tomorrow or Weds as to whether he has any tips? Will advise. Cheers. G

Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000