Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 General Chat
 Rear Window rubbers - any ideas on where to buy?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File

T O P I C    R E V I E W
cybernok Posted - 06 Feb 2015 : 07:55:03
Hi there.

I am new to this forum as my father is trying to restore a 1972 sunbeam rapier fastback and the car needs a full set of window rubbers / seals. I have been in contact with Alpine west midlands and i can get every window seal except the back triangle window seals - does any one have any ideas on where i would be able to purchase these.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Charles.
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kelch Posted - 24 Jan 2018 : 18:31:38
Thanks for sharing your experiences. Always good to know things like that.
Pellegren Posted - 24 Jan 2018 : 09:04:59
Those old ones are great indeed, Paul. Love them.
bigt80 Posted - 28 Oct 2017 : 21:48:02
Hello Paul,
Well yes it did, but we only have the rubber off the roll which does both back and side rear 1/4 windows. Doing a good job on the backlight requires careful mitring of the corners, but a reasonable job can be achieved: not tried the 1/4's but should be easier.
We have the seal to take insert or stainless steel trim, but it is a case of getting your own cyanoacrylate adhesive and making them up yourself.
If you are interested send me a pm & I can arrange to get enough to you to do rear and side 1/4's.
Hope that helps a bit: with hindsight I wish we'd gone the extra mile and had the rear backlight ones made up ready for fitting, but cost was prohibitive at the time. Cheers. G
Fastback Paul Posted - 28 Oct 2017 : 04:25:38
quote:
Originally posted by bigt80

Hello & welcome to the forum. I am surprised you can get the rear screen seal because as far as I know these are NLA. In fact the club is currently under going a reproduction run of these, but they are still in development along with the rear quarter seals you mention. I only know of the front screen seal being available. The club has some side glazing rubber kits available I think.
Of course there were two types of seal - early cars had the stainless steel moulding, later, from around 1971 with the plastic insert type. It is this latter type we are looking to have remanufactured as the insert is still available, whereas the mouldings are more harder to come by. Worth joining the club too, but then I'm biased . Hope this helps. if you know more about the rear screen seal, do post something up here

Just wondering if anything came of this...I am very interested in getting hold of some of the early ones with the stainless steel insert

Paul OSullivan
bigt80 Posted - 06 Mar 2016 : 16:34:04
Hi Tim,
Yes, will do; many thanks for that. As for bolts that hold rear bumper irons onto body; oddly had another request last week from member who has mislaid his ones as well. Had a look in stores last week, but nothing. They are 1/2" UNF 1 1/4" in length, but imperial bolts, nuts etc seem harder to get these days. I've found all the fittings for my re-build whilst sorting out garage today, so will check tomorrow if I have any new ones in amongst all of that stuff and let you know. Cheers. G.
arrocuda Posted - 05 Mar 2016 : 08:41:58
Send me an email with your address on and I'll send them down to you. The only thing I may be short of to complete are a pair of the large bolts that secure the rear bumper.

Can't find them but not sure how they could have gone. It's not as though they could have been swept up and binned by accident. May well turn up yet.

Not been posting much on here of late because I've been grabbing every spare hour I can to work on the car so as to get it out this Spring. Apart from paint I'm almost done and I'm not sure there's any point in going overboard with the final finish until I've completed the engine/transmission swap out.

Will probably run it as it is for now and go 'phase 2' over next winter whilst it's laid up.

Tim.

Building the 'Mark II' fastback Rapier ('Arrocuda').
bigt80 Posted - 04 Mar 2016 : 18:49:33
Hi Tim,
I can put them into club stock &/or use as pattern for making up seals from the off-the roll stuff.
Happy to make a contribution to your MkII Fastback project
G.
arrocuda Posted - 04 Mar 2016 : 11:49:41
I've got a pair of fastback rear quarter light rubbers that although they are not new they look perfect, they are certainly in a lot better condition than the ones I took off the project car. Can only think that the previous owner must have replaced them as they look so good.

No use to me

Tim

Building the 'Mark II' fastback Rapier ('Arrocuda').
pruyter Posted - 04 Mar 2016 : 09:46:54
Indeed the seals of other Rootes cars won't fit! I bought my rear screen rubber from Mike Langley, they are fabricated in Australia and are a good fit.The only thing is: fitting the moulding in the rubber is a real pain in the ***!

Regards,

Peter
bigt80 Posted - 03 Mar 2016 : 17:20:00
Hi Jim,
We had the profile made for the Fastback, that too is off the roll. Nothing for the Series I'm afraid. Not sure what Mike has? Minx's of the period rear screen is different I believe, so seal for one of those would not fit. Good old Rootes! Sorry can't help on that. Hope you can find something. G.
jimlagos Posted - 03 Mar 2016 : 16:56:40
Hello, just found this thread, I'm looking for a rear screen rubber seal for my Series V. So far all I've found is the actual extrusion, off the roll, but no complete ready made one. Any joy on the supply yet?

jim
bigt80 Posted - 07 Feb 2015 : 16:02:47
Hello & welcome to the forum. I am surprised you can get the rear screen seal because as far as I know these are NLA. In fact the club is currently under going a reproduction run of these, but they are still in development along with the rear quarter seals you mention. I only know of the front screen seal being available. The club has some side glazing rubber kits available I think.
Of course there were two types of seal - early cars had the stainless steel moulding, later, from around 1971 with the plastic insert type. It is this latter type we are looking to have remanufactured as the insert is still available, whereas the mouldings are more harder to come by. Worth joining the club too, but then I'm biased . Hope this helps. if you know more about the rear screen seal, do post something up here

Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000