Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

JPSH120

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  10:50:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The additive is still a good idea for the ethanol protection, that stuff is pretty nasty!

Go to Top of Page

Arran

United Kingdom
89 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  09:38:06  Show Profile  Visit Arran's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you for this advise. I continue then with the additive, Esther has left in the car, Redex until I have finished it, then changing to your suggestion of Millars Oil.

To drive home, I can live without the rev indicator, and Esther has assured me, that she had made 160 miles after a refill and the meter has only moved about a quarter. So I fill up somwhere today and then i can see for myself.

I have the Hynes manual, the original Owners manual and another one, so it should be easy to follow your clues.

I will let you know more during my travel home.

Best greetings from the Isle of Arran in Scotland.
Go to Top of Page

arrocuda

United Kingdom
501 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  08:06:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that all aluminium heads have the hardened inserts fitted so agree with Jason in that a fuel additive should not be required. Also on the tacho and guages faults. It sounds like it could be poor connections within the wiring. Fortunately the wiring on 70's cars is fairly easy to follow if you have a diagram.

Get a Haynes manual off of ebay, if one didn't come with the car, and give the wiring diagrams a looking at. I've probably got a spare fuel level sender unit if needed and new engine temperature transducers can be bought from Speedy's.

Something to keep you busy over the winter!

Building the 'Mark II' fastback Rapier ('Arrocuda').

Edited by - arrocuda on 17 Nov 2013 08:11:20
Go to Top of Page

JPSH120

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2013 :  22:08:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear George has gone to a good home, I know Esther had a tough call to make in selling him.

As for fuel additive, use Millers VSP power plus;

http://www.millersoils.co.uk/automotive/tds-automotive.asp?prodsegmentID=911§or=Classics

My holbay head has hardened valve seats and I think yours does too being an alloy head but not 100% sure.

In any case, as you'll see from the link the Millers additive protects against valve seat recession as well as the adverse effects of ethanol.

Congrats again on the purchase.

Go to Top of Page

Arran

United Kingdom
89 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2013 :  21:52:59  Show Profile  Visit Arran's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yesterday we arrived shattered and tired after 1 hour Ferry and all together 10 hours train from Glasgow at about 20:45 in Newton Abbot. Luckily we got a good meal and had an early sleep at a good Best Western Hotel.

In the morning Esther brought us with the white Fastback «George»; and after all the paper work and the payment, the car became ours. Ester gave us also a good run and let me drive the first miles under her surveillance.

After this, we drove about 80 miles via Bristol over the oldder of the Severn Bridges and then continued a few miles further.

The car has a few funny ones: rev counter, temperature and petrol content dials are not working, but this is just a little blemish. Perhaps somebody has a good source to mend that, while we drive north? Otherwise the car had a very good behaviour. I was really quick in re-using the overdrive.

Has anyone an idea how the ratio Petrol to Additive should be? Apparently the car has not been converted to use straight unleaded. This is probably for me the most important issue at the moment, as we certainly need petrol.

So, many thanks in advance for any good information.

I will put up pics at a later day, todays were not really presentable...

Best greetings from the Isle of Arran in Scotland.

Edited by - Arran on 16 Nov 2013 21:57:51
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000