Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

arrocuda

United Kingdom
501 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2013 :  19:39:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like it's 'game over' for this one then. Shame that.

Building the 'Mark II' fastback Rapier ('Arrocuda').
Go to Top of Page

Fastback Thomas

Belgium
423 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2013 :  19:29:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's online AGAIN.... but less the engine this time..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sunbeam-Rapier-Holbay-H120-rolling-chassis/221336334112?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D3375114729571529932%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D251145647695%26

'68 sunbeam rapier fastback {B341006846 OD/LHO}
I like a car that looks normal but really knocks your socks off!!

Edited by - Fastback Thomas on 13 Dec 2013 19:30:52
Go to Top of Page

MartinD

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2013 :  19:17:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you look at this week's Classic Car Weekly, there is a pic of an orange H120 rather like this one that went through a classic car auction on 27th November for £1200.
Go to Top of Page

arrocuda

United Kingdom
501 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2013 :  14:12:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it was closer and the price was right I'd re-shell it using the Grim body.

Go to Top of Page

Mooresy

United Kingdom
161 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2013 :  13:53:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I think the other problem is that as J says, there have been a few in need of resto appearing lately and anyone who was looking for a resto is already sorted: there are only so many keen ones out there: I'd save them all if I could
[/quote]

Same here, I'd love to save this one. As mentioned I think its the best colour combination by far. Bright primary colours really suit the H120's. But, as you get older you are certainly less impulsive (well I am, but judging off the amount of times my neighbors and work colleagues change their cars and mobile phones etc I'm probably the exception these days). I have to be honest, I don't have the patience (or time, or disposable income) to take on a full restoration. I have to stick to my original brief - Good sound presentable car that I can tinker with and do some detailing (even up-to a re-spay). I have a realistic budget, so I,ll keep looking.
Go to Top of Page

bigt80

United Kingdom
1051 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2013 :  10:14:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mooresy

Back on again, Same asking price of £2,250.00 with bidding starting at £1.995.00.

Yes, can't quite understand why people put it up with a start price so close to the buy it now Can't see how you'll get a bid! Not when it's over-priced anyway

quote:
Originally posted by Mooresy
He probably needs to start the bidding at 99p if he wants to sell it. That way it will find its true value.

Yes, agreed & he could still put a realistic reserve on it if he didn't want to get scrap value for it

I think the other problem is that as J says, there have been a few in need of resto appearing lately and anyone who was looking for a resto is already sorted: there are only so many keen ones out there: I'd save them all if I could
Go to Top of Page

jabe1807

Norway
192 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2013 :  19:43:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are more Pictures of the car http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321268813882&clk_rvr_id=557443903280
Go to Top of Page

JPSH120

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2013 :  17:55:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chances are if it doesn't appeal to anyone on here who is willing to make a cheeky but sensible offer, this will either sit for another 20 years or get split for spares.

Go to Top of Page

Mooresy

United Kingdom
161 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2013 :  17:46:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back on again, Same asking price of £2,250.00 with bidding starting at £1.995.00.
He probably needs to start the bidding at 99p if he wants to sell it. That way it will find its true value (probably in the region of £1,000.00 based on similar that have sold in the last 12 months).
Old cars are funny things, owners often have unrealistic values for them. Sadly, they fester for years and finally sell for nothing or get broken up for whatever is salvageable.
Go to Top of Page

ianh120

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2013 :  00:23:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to add a little more when I went to see the car it was in an open fronted garage leantoo and the inside was tattyvi think this may have been because the intension of rallying so the inside would have been simplified and minimised . Ithink some of the dash was hanging out and not sure if it was all there
Go to Top of Page

bigt80

United Kingdom
1051 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2013 :  21:24:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This has been an active thread
I thought it was CRU 800L, which was known to the club, but disappeared off the radar for many years. Ford Rostyles I see.
electricnick & I rescued a same colour combination one from Amesbury a few years ago that looked a bit worse than this and turned out to be as crumbly as a fruitcake. So I agree there will be a lot worse than what you can see when you get into it: must have been in a damp storage area. The tatty interior would put me off too, so hard to get anything decent now. It would be good to be saved tho . Probably supplied by Geo. Hartwell of Bournemouth with that plate.
Go to Top of Page

ianh120

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2013 :  20:58:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi i have a little more info on this car i saw it about 5 years ago it appears to be in the same location . it was owned by a garage owner called brian dennis also brian dennis motor sport . he was a welsh rally driver specalising in minis i think . he had bought the car to potentialy rally it and had started welding if i remember it had drivers cill and drivers door done . it was running but whilst i was there a hose split the interior was tatty and a dent in passenger side front wing .
Brian himself said the guy working on the car under his employ died and he lost interest in car and garaged it . he also said if i was interested in rallying he would provide assistance and would help with cost etc he had a few interesting cars and the garage at his house was like a scene from the italian job .
the car was offered at less than it is now so weather his son is selling it i dont now as information on the web site for the garage just says to ring for further information .
i dont now if itsworth the asking price but i suppose with all the parts ie engine boot etc it may be
Go to Top of Page

arrocuda

United Kingdom
501 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2013 :  07:45:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is too bad it has been allowed to deteriorate to this level. At best you are looking at sills and valence panels, but as Moorsey says there's likely to be a few surprises lurking under the surface.

Shame that. Hopefully someone out there will see its potential and the guy will price it accordingly.

Go to Top of Page

Mooresy

United Kingdom
161 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2013 :  23:09:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to say. This car has my colour combination of choice.
Wardance red (sort of dark orange) with a cream interior and a black stripe. Pure 70's.
My dream garage / collection would have this Rapier in, alongside a Hunter GLS and an Avenger Tiger - all in Wardance.

Too much rust for me. You are guaranteed to find 3 times more than you can see (I'v been there).
Mind you, at £1000 - £1500 it would be worth a punt. But not at £2000 - £2500

Edited by - Mooresy on 29 Nov 2013 23:16:38
Go to Top of Page

JPSH120

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2013 :  10:21:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well on the face of it based on the sellers description and the photo's that seems to be a decent car for that money. As we know some rubbish has been offered up for considerably more than that and this car looks genuine and complete.

Such a good job I only have a single garage

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000