New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stella

France
132 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2014 :  14:12:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone

Just thought it might be an idea to find out if/where multi-mark car appreciation clubs exist...

Here in France there are quite a few... and I bet they do exist in the UK too... but where ???

Our Sunbeams are appreciated everywhere (naturally) but it is interesting to swap info/help with other car breeds and like-minded folk.

What do you think ???

regards

Stella

arrocuda

United Kingdom
501 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2014 :  09:41:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They kind of exist over here but tend to be defined by genre. You won't see many 'Old car clubs' but you will see clubs that cater for 'niche' interests and their enthusiasts.

The vast majority of clubs are defined by marque but even then there are some that are defined by model. The ones that are multi marque are clubs such as classic rallying, hotrods, custom car, classic racing etc... where the members have a common interest other than the car itself.

Then there are 'cruisin' clubs'. These are clubs specifically aimed at the enthusiast that prefers hotdogging around in his car to show it off, rather than standing in a wet field all day, but all marques (sometimes even moderns), are welcomed.

So they are kind of out there but perhaps not as easy to find.

Building the 'Mark II' fastback Rapier ('Arrocuda').

Edited by - arrocuda on 02 Feb 2014 09:44:07
Go to Top of Page

Stella

France
132 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2014 :  14:45:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Arrocuda

I was thinking about Mooresy and his VW... but there are surely others as well.. who just want to get together with other enthusiasts..without going to extremes..

and I always thought that Classic-Cars was a common interest thread.. over here, get a few of us together and the bonnets go up, heads go down over the engine bay.. and we are all swapping info..in a variety of languages.... great fun.. (even in the rain)

http://www.classicmotor.co.uk/clubs/atoe.htm this site might be useful...

Stella

Edited by - Stella on 02 Feb 2014 15:16:17
Go to Top of Page

arrocuda

United Kingdom
501 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2014 :  18:08:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just took a look at your list of car clubs Stella and noticed that there is a dedicated 'Karmann Ghia' club.... so maybe there's hope for Moosey yet!

I know what you mean though cos as a person I'm not very loyal to any brand despite having had several Opel Manta A series and a couple of B's too. When I visit a classic car show I never look at the Mantas (probably cos I've spent too much time looking at my own), and usually return with ideas for buying cars I'd never even considered before.

Even when I complete the project car the nearest it will probably get to a car show is the car park, cos I'm more the kind of person that doesn't want to stand in a field all day, and would probably be better suited to a cruisers club. Never showed any of the Mantas and had about eight over the past 30 years.

Tim.

Building the 'Mark II' fastback Rapier ('Arrocuda').

Edited by - arrocuda on 02 Feb 2014 18:12:41
Go to Top of Page

Stella

France
132 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2014 :  18:33:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Arrocuda

It can be rather useful going out on long-haul trips with the same marque.. then folk bring various spare parts to swap and share.. so that minor breakdowns can be easily sorted..

Unfortunately, there are not many Rapiers here in France, so our boot is generally packed with bits and pieces..just in case..

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000