electric fuel pump
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chazr

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2015 :  22:54:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi i am fitting an electric fuel pump to my fastback will it pump to much fuel into the carbs or will i need to fit a regulator

pruyter

Netherlands
320 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2015 :  08:54:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It depends on the type of fuel pump. If it not exceeds about 2 lbs you can get away with it in not fitting a pressure regulator.
I used on my series Rapier a pressure regulator just to be sure.
A very good pressure regulator is the Malpassi Filter King and in combination with a little pressure gauge which has to be screwed in the pressure regulator it is possible to adjust the required pressure. After adjusting the gauge can be screwed out again and stored on a safe place.

Regards,

Peter
Go to Top of Page

chazr

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2015 :  16:33:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Peter the fuel pump is a facet and it's 4 psi to 7psi
Go to Top of Page

pruyter

Netherlands
320 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2015 :  16:42:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Then you certainly need a pressure regulator!
Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
549 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2015 :  16:27:04  Show Profile  Visit 1922's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The factory workshop manual (WSM149) lists the mechanical pump at 2.75 to 4.25psi.
With the facet turned right down to 4psi you are, theoretically, within the limit. You might get away without a regulator.

Go to Top of Page

onefunkyman

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2015 :  15:13:23  Show Profile  Visit onefunkyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
just a few thoughts from my own experience on this....
I fitted a Facet fuel pump a couple of years ago along with the Malpassi pressure regulator and fuel filter, they all work together superbly well and you have the added bonus of fitting a hidden fuel pump isolater switch to stop plebs from steeling your pride and joy!

I went on further and added an alarm that will disable the fuel pump and coil thus totally immobilizing the thing!

More recently i damaged the Malpassi pressure regulator and to get me home i plumbed the facet directly into the carbs - they did not flood! (but i cannot reccomend this!!!!)

Facet pump used is the "red top" for race running at 10psi,
carbs are brand new twin 45 dcoe (it may be that new carbs will withstand a bit more pressure!?)

All the best
Go to Top of Page

pruyter

Netherlands
320 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2015 :  07:31:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 1922

The factory workshop manual (WSM149) lists the mechanical pump at 2.75 to 4.25psi.
With the facet turned right down to 4psi you are, theoretically, within the limit. You might get away without a regulator.

The factory workshop manual I have, which is WSM 149, shows on page 7 (General data) the following: Pump pressure 1,5/2 lb/inch (.11/.18 kg/cm.

Edited by - pruyter on 24 Mar 2015 07:34:58
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000