Project car inspection day.....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

arrocuda

United Kingdom
501 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2016 :  14:00:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Took the car for its first MOT for many years this morning and...... it passed!!

Car is now officially on the road and I'm gonna celebrate with a garage clear out. This time I'm gonna be ruthless!

Still has it's original engine and transmission but at least I can have a little fun with it whilst I'm gathering all the stuff I'm going to need.

Tim

Building the 'Mark II' fastback Rapier ('Arrocuda').

andyb

United Kingdom
367 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2016 :  08:15:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done getting it on the road,a few pictures wouldn't go amiss :)

sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand
Go to Top of Page

arrocuda

United Kingdom
501 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  14:23:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers Andy! I can't access my Rods'n'sods account right now so I can't upload any pics. Tried photobucket but I can't sort out the IMG format they are now using so as to be compatible with this site.

I'll be back with some recent pics just as soon as I can get back in.

Tim

Edited by - arrocuda on 19 Oct 2016 14:44:14
Go to Top of Page

arrocuda

United Kingdom
501 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  18:37:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok..... got some pics this morning cos I had to take her out for a test drive as I made some adjustments last night.

I've decided that the 'less is more' look is back in vogue hence the lack of chrome strips every where. Might put the gutter strips back on but not made my mind up yet. I kind of like it as it is.

Here's one I took on the way back to the car after nipping into the local Lidl store.

Must get around to cleaning that back window!

Edited by - arrocuda on 19 Oct 2016 18:51:06
Go to Top of Page

Rusttom

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  21:48:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks a beast! I really like those wheels. Whats the plan for it next?
Go to Top of Page

arrocuda

United Kingdom
501 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2016 :  10:29:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's complicated but I was planning to install a turbocharged H120 engine. Sounds fanciful but it has been done before in an Alpine roadster, so I don't see a problem with it bearing in mind I've already got a good stock H120 engine here. Here's some eye candy....

However.... having read the whole story on the build and how much time the guy put in to it, I might go for the soft option and buy an SRT4 build kit. In terms of cost there won't be a lot of difference but it will be a tried and tested engine that's ready to run by comparison.

The 2.4 engine out of a PT cruiser is the donor unit and there are plenty of them available ready to dismantle and send to the local machining shop. Then it's just about rebuilding the engine with all the shiny bits from America. The stage one kit is about $2500 and ups the output to around 250hp which is more than enough for what I had in mind.

Will still need to replace the gearbox either way so was thinking of an LT77 (Rover SD1 V8). Also the diff ratio is way too low so that would cost another £300 to buy the new ring gear. Plus you would probably want to convert the rear axle to disc brakes (£400) at the same time cos with all that power I know I would.

So when you look at all the work that would need to be done I'm beginning to think that an engine set up that I know would be sound, along with same day parts availability if needed is probably the sensible way to go.

Tim

Edited by - arrocuda on 20 Oct 2016 10:31:27
Go to Top of Page

arrocuda

United Kingdom
501 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2016 :  17:05:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After driving the car this past few days I've decided to stick with the original plan, although I'm going to make it easier by using gsxr throttle bodies and efi fueling. I say 'easier', it probably won't be in the short term, but once it's done it should make life a lot easier in terms of tuning and reliability.

The plan is to fit the E128 camshaft which is notoriously difficult to tune from what I've heard, but I'm hoping that both the throttle bodies combined with a much more controllable fueling system will make it more tractable.

Has anyone on here fitted an aftermarket efi system to there car before? Be interested to know if is the case and how they got on.

Go to Top of Page

andyb

United Kingdom
367 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2016 :  09:06:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spot on,some work gone into that !

Liking the boot lid and rear bumper nice to see somebody using their imagination

Have you any Rostyles going in this "garage clearout" lol

sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand
Go to Top of Page

arrocuda

United Kingdom
501 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2016 :  09:37:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bumper came off of a late model facelift Hunter. Only Rostyles I have are Opel Manta spec'. I believe they are 4 x 100mm PCD which is too small for Rapier hubs.

Tim

Edited by - arrocuda on 29 Oct 2016 09:39:06
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000