Information
 VIN, Chassis #, and Model Year Questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sport

7 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2017 :  16:26:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have several questions that are related.

The person I bought this Rapier from told me it was a 1962, however, based on photos I found, the trim on my car appears to be what's on 1958 or 1959. (small trim loops to the top, name emblem on the doors)

My Rapier is missing the large data plate from the top right side of the firewall, but still has the small plate on the slam panel. From some photos I have found online the two plates have different numbers. Is the small plate with 8 characters (3 letters then 5 numbers) considered the "VIN"? (vehicle identification number)

Are there any places on the car where any type of an identification number might be stamped directly on the car?

Can the year of the car be determined by the number plate on the slam panel?

Thanks in advance,
B.

hillman

France
107 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2017 :  11:53:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi sport I enclose a link where you will find the vin numbers per yearand some other informations .
This site may be a usefull information for you in the US
http://clubs.hemmings.com/sunbeam/office/chasis.html
The numbers are stamped on the chassis on the left side when standing in front of the car between the fuel pump and the rad , below the heating fan if equipped.
cheers

gilles
Go to Top of Page

bigt80

United Kingdom
1051 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2017 :  09:10:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just adding to this. I had not realised there was another stamp on the body itself on Series cars. I would imagine this would match what was on the VIN plate near the bulkhead?
The small plate on the slam panel is the body no. and not a VIN plate. As far as Fastbacks (which had same type of plate on slam panel) were concerned this was for factory use and dictated what model was going to be produced as it went through the assembly line. It has no statistical purpose that I know of?
Cheers, G
Go to Top of Page

Sport

7 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2017 :  21:14:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you both for the replies.

My car has been modified and the place where the stamp would have been has been altered from some customizing. (right front inner shield near the frame) If there is another location please let me know.

It might not be impossible, but not having a VIN will make registering this car VERY difficult at best. I would have to get the car 100% ready for the street and then have to go through a full safety inspection and then MAYBE get a VIN assigned. Not something I want to deal with.

Thanks again,
Bill
Go to Top of Page

hillman

France
107 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2017 :  08:39:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
in theory the number stamped on the engine must be the same as the one on the body.
Why not use this number as the vin for your car?
Go to Top of Page

Sport

7 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2017 :  15:21:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No engine.....

Bill
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page