Anti-freeze
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jimlagos

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2017 :  11:58:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tend to use distilled water (salvaged from my dehumidifier) for the engine cooling. Might be brown from the heater matrix, although I did quickly flush it out. I'll probably drain down again, and try again.
Thanks Gents.

jim

Edited by - jimlagos on 13 Oct 2017 11:59:32
Go to Top of Page

pruyter

Netherlands
320 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2017 :  09:36:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the SAOC forum there is just posted that 1/3 of blue anti freeze plus 2/3 of distilled water is the solution to avoiding that this mixture is getting dirty. The poster has tested this on his Alpine for some time and it seems to work.

Regards,

Peter
Go to Top of Page

bigt80

United Kingdom
1051 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2017 :  08:43:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It could be as a result of what was left in the heater matrix: a lot of debris sit in here, but cleaning them out can cause leaks!
I always used Bluecol in 'the old days', but my mechanic mate preferred the green BMC-type stuff of the day.
I now use one of the modern-type orange coloured ones in my car & haven't found any problems; but yes the water is still a bit rusty again even after a fairly major drain-off to do the head gasket.
I always keep a 50/50 solution or even stronger to help keep corrosion at bay. Cheers. G
Go to Top of Page

jimlagos

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2017 :  12:24:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I stripped my 1725 engine and replaced the camshaft, checked everything and thoroughly cleaned the water galleries. The radiator was re-cored at the same time, and when all re-installed filled with 50/50 anti freeze and water. After just a couple of thousand miles the water is very rust coloured and dirty. Have I used the wrong type of anti freeze? Is there a strong recommendation of type for these engines with alloy heads?

jim
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000