Page: of 8

Fastback Thomas

Belgium
423 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2010 :  19:43:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everybody,

Short introduction of myself...
I'm Thomas Crauwels
I live in Belgium somewhere near Antwerp.
I'm 15 years old (for now)
I'm into Sunbeams and Triumphs because my granddad started collecting them about 40 years ago.
As my first car I'm restoring an '68 Sunbeam Rapier Fastback.
The car is in color code 114 (I believe this is Sherwood Green)
I hope to be able to restore thee car before I'm 18...
It's still in the back of my granddad's garage, but I hope to get it in my basement at home so I can work on it during winter time.

Some pictures will folow.

Greetings Thomas

B.T.W. If anybody has any tips I can use don't hesitate.

I like car thath looks normal but can really surprise!

Holbay120

United Kingdom
177 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2010 :  21:07:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Thomas! welcome to the forum (and the club?), most of us would say "you are never to old" but hey your never to young either so good for you - go for it. You will find help on here, do post some pictures soon and once again a very warm welcome!
Best Regards

David McKenna
Go to Top of Page

Fastback Thomas

Belgium
423 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2010 :  19:15:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Holbay120

Hello Thomas! welcome to the forum (and the club?), most of us would say "you are never to old" but hey your never to young either so good for you - go for it. You will find help on here, do post some pictures soon and once again a very warm welcome!
Best Regards

David McKenna

Thanks David
The "bug" has bitten me very early,
I was allready working on cars with my dad and granddad when I was only 10 years,
and before that I was always looking at what they where doing...
This year and the year before I was allready able and doing things on my own... with a little bit of supervision from my dad...
This is my car.(For now)

Edited by - Fastback Thomas on 08 Oct 2010 19:25:35
Go to Top of Page

Jon

United Kingdom
221 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2010 :  22:32:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ive sorted the link out to get your pics on you were almost there!

Hillman Avenger MK1 GT,
Commer PB Pick-Up x2,
Commer PB Panel Van,
Dodge spaceavn Auto sleeper,
Triumph Stag MK1,
Chevette HS x2,
Lancia Delta Integrale,
Fiat Mk1 Uno Turbo,

Edited by - Jon on 04 Sep 2010 22:36:53
Go to Top of Page

Fastback Thomas

Belgium
423 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2010 :  18:43:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks Jon.

So, what do you think of my car?

- The front quarter panels need to be replaced.
- The rear of the right front wing also needs replacing.
- The sills are totally rusted.
- The boot has a ventilation hole.
- And there's some surface rust.

The upside is that we have allmost every part necessary
and the parts we don't have are ordered at alpine west midlands, my dad and some friends are going to beaulieu and are picking up the parts.

Regards Thomas

Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
549 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2010 :  13:17:27  Show Profile  Visit 1922's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Thomas,
That's a very short list of problems - sounds like an easy restoration.

The front wings always rust just in front of the door - the water and mud from the front wheel gets into the spot welded joint.

I got my first Rapier when I was 19 years old, it was very rusty. When I was 22 I spent a whole year of weekends and holidays welding (floor, bulkhead, 'A' posts, sills, rear wings, boot floor, rear wheel arches, front lower panel, wings, rear spring mounts, rear shock mounts, doors), then I rebuilt then engine, gearbox, front suspension, rear suspension and back axle. I would have been easier to buy another one but I love that car
Go to Top of Page

Fastback Thomas

Belgium
423 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2010 :  17:40:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 1922

Hi Thomas,
That's a very short list of problems - sounds like an easy restoration.

The front wings always rust just in front of the door - the water and mud from the front wheel gets into the spot welded joint.

I got my first Rapier when I was 19 years old, it was very rusty. When I was 22 I spent a whole year of weekends and holidays welding (floor, bulkhead, 'A' posts, sills, rear wings, boot floor, rear wheel arches, front lower panel, wings, rear spring mounts, rear shock mounts, doors), then I rebuilt then engine, gearbox, front suspension, rear suspension and back axle. I would have been easier to buy another one but I love that car

I understand that completely!
I also found some rust on the right chassis beam.
And ofcourse I also have to rebuild the suspension and drivetrain...

I'm looking for a little bit more power...
My dad met Chris Draycott a few years ago, don't know if you or anybody on this forum knows him, but he makes more powerfull engines.
He also races a Sunbeam alpine SV.
My dad was really impressed about wath he was capable of. He let him hear a 140-150 BHP Alpine engine wich ran very well!
But well is an understatement... It was doing around 800 RPM COLD!! and very smooth! This is really amazing from an alpine engine with that kind of power...
Has anybody a good experience with Chris Draycott or his engines?

I like a car thath looks normal but can really knock you off your socks!
Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
549 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2010 :  22:41:11  Show Profile  Visit 1922's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've no direct experience but I have been told that he is good.

Don't forget that Holbay (the 'H' in H120) still exists - they built an 1840cc engine for me twenty years ago that I used for 15 years - I only stopped driving the car because the sills rusted again, the engine is still perfect.

Now they have built a 1922cc engine for me - but I haven't got this in the car yet. I've have always been very pleased with the quality of work and they are nice people to deal with.
See http://www.coltecracing.com/engines.html - note the engine in the second picture.
Go to Top of Page

janmarine3

South Africa
286 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  06:56:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow...gimme pse pse pse...
Go to Top of Page

Fastback Thomas

Belgium
423 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  14:22:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 1922

I've no direct experience but I have been told that he is good.

Don't forget that Holbay (the 'H' in H120) still exists - they built an 1840cc engine for me twenty years ago that I used for 15 years - I only stopped driving the car because the sills rusted again, the engine is still perfect.

Now they have built a 1922cc engine for me - but I haven't got this in the car yet. I've have always been very pleased with the quality of work and they are nice people to deal with.
See http://www.coltecracing.com/engines.html - note the engine in the second picture.

Yes, I allready found coltec engines and I also recognized the second engine... B.T.W. I know what H120 stands for

I was looking at performance parts, and found the holbay camshaft that coltec is selling for the alpine/rapier 1725 engine. So, for more information I send them an e-mail. I did this twice and didn't get an answer, this kind of disapointed me. So I didn't look any further.
But then my dad suggested that, if I wanted some more power, maybe I should think about one of Chris' engines, because he always wanted one of his engine to use in our LeMans.

I allready told that Chris Draycott races an alpine SV.
Perhaps I'm going to Francorchamps this year, maybe he is to, so IF I see him there I might ask him some more information... But we'll see.

Here's a picture of the interior.

Edited by - Fastback Thomas on 08 Oct 2010 19:26:39
Go to Top of Page

argonaut

Hungary
39 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  19:44:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Thomas,

that's a nice car you have there, congratulations. I too once had a 1968 Fastback but passed it on to another club member since I no longer had any space for it.
Looking at your list it seems to be a straight forward restoration project, one word regarding Alpine Westmidlands, a long time ago I heard that whilst their panels are good, they will need some additional work to get them to fit properly with good gaps and shut lines.

Also, your door trim panels are unusual, I had a total of 4 Fastbacks at one point but I have only ever had one with those trim panels and yours is only the second car I've ever seen with that style - look after them, they might be rare.

Cheers
Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
549 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  19:54:54  Show Profile  Visit 1922's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Thomas,
Richard Coles (Coltec) is pretty bad at answering emails - he's gets a lot of spam. The best way to contact him is by phone.
Go to Top of Page

Jon

United Kingdom
221 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  21:31:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks as if your a long way off fitting fast engines you better get the welder out first and cover some of them holes uplol
You better move all that trim and carpet though before you do dont want it goin up in smoke

Hillman Avenger MK1 GT,
Commer PB Pick-Up x2,
Commer PB Panel Van,
Dodge spaceavan Auto sleeper,
Triumph Stag MK1,
Chevette HS x2,
Lancia Delta Integrale,
Fiat Mk1 Uno Turbo,
Go to Top of Page

Fastback Thomas

Belgium
423 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2010 :  17:53:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll sure look after them, I already thought they where rare...
We have another one, a white 75 I believe, and I thought didn't look the same.

My dad and granddad already did about 10 restoration and about another 10 small ones (Little rust, engine replacements etc...) and I helped on about the last 7 or so. So I already have a good idea about welding and preparing for it...

I'm taking her apart anyway. Everything is going out so I can find al the rust and repair it, and then everything 's going back in, replaced or refurbished...

Go to Top of Page

Hanley

United Kingdom
126 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2010 :  16:35:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Thomas,

What a cracking start your Grandad and Dad have done, I hope my son (now 6) is as keen when he is 15!

Looks like a great base for an excellent car
Go to Top of Page

Fastback Thomas

Belgium
423 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  19:52:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My dad and our friend just came back from their trip to the grand autojumble in beaulieu. Whe ordered some bodyparts at Alpine west midlands and some other parts from speedy spares. So now I have al the bodyparts necessary and also al parts necessary for suspension, brakes and clutch.

A picture of the new body panels.

They also found a new front grille.

Pictures of the other body panels will folow soon.

Edited by - Fastback Thomas on 08 Oct 2010 19:27:36
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000