My other Rapier.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

arrocuda

United Kingdom
501 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2012 :  14:07:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally got rid of the Jag' although I had to cut it up to do it cos I wanted to keep the IRS and the front axle/suspension unit. So I can now get the project car out for some pics. Problem now is we've had a fair amount of snow here so ain't gonna happen for a few days yet.

Also sold my 'A' series '72 Opel Manta that I was keeping at my mother's old house that really needed a complete rebuild, so I'm almost classic-less at the moment. So I've decided to put this one on the road cos I'm getting a little miffed in that I've had all these cars about me (was 6 of 'em this time last year)and no classic actually road legal.... but now I only have my daily hack (Rover), the Arrocuda and this little gem.

Bought it off of a guy in Derby a couple of years ago, but has a fuelling problem so I set it to one side to get on with the custom Rapier. Cos I had too many cars at the time, I put it in a mates garage where it is now. He decided he liked it and wanted to buy it but has never come up with the ackers so.... I've decided to bring it over and put it back on the road.

Spare engine.....

Modified console.....

Sorry about the pics will get some new ones when I move it. Is only across the way from me so just need to get the keys off of him. The sharper eyed ones amongst us will have noticed that not only does it have a side exit exhaust, the spare engine doesn't look much like a 1725. That's cos it isn't. It's fitted with a Nissan CA18 ET turbo engine from a Silvia and the 5 speed box from the same car.

Has a bit of a 'ratrod' look about it with no rear bumper, side exit exhaust, slot mags, (are there any other wheels?) and the all over black finish which I kind of like. Needs new front seats, converting to LPG, (will also solve the fuelling problem)... and a little bit of welding on the rear valence. Oh... and an MOT!

So..... I'm gonna have a little fun this summer hoonin' around in this and will maybe get the chance to meet up at a show or two suitably dressed!

Building the 'Mark II' fastback Rapier ('Arrocuda').

Edited by - arrocuda on 05 Feb 2012 15:36:01

bigt80

United Kingdom
1051 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2012 :  19:01:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, that looks a bit mean: they do in black and those Wolfrace or Cobra slots make it look really good. I did not read the bottom of the posting to start with and I was going to say it is crying out for something like a V8 or some other engine, but I see that's already happened. I think I saw it on 'the bay' a couple of years ago. I reckon that'll be a good fun car. Is the interior reasonable? I understand a 90's Honda Civic interior will fit pretty much straight in and looks pretty good: no first hand experience though. Look forward to some better pics. Cheers.
Go to Top of Page

arrocuda

United Kingdom
501 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2012 :  20:47:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigt80

I think I saw it on 'the bay' a couple of years ago.

It was on the bay @ £700 but the guy had no bidders. He called me after and we did a deal which was basically the car at the asking price but with spare engine and gearbox and a whole heap of spares including doors, front wings etc etc. At that point I cracked cos I already had 6 cars at the time and didn't really need another but had already decided I was going to move out a few of them, so bought it and put it in Nick's garage.

Now I've thinned them out I only have this and the project car although I kept the front axle and IRS off the Jag for another Rootes project I have planned for after I complete the Arrocuda. Was thinking of selling this one but decided that bearing in mind how much work the Manta needed doing it just wasn't going to happen in the short term so I sold the Manta and kept this instead.

The Manta was a very sentimental car to me as it was my daily driver for several years. The guy I sold it to is really getting stuck into the rebuild and it will be good to see it restored to a high standard even if its not mine. Sometimes it's best to move a car on and let someone else have the fun of it if you can see no way of finding the time to complete I think.

Edited by - arrocuda on 05 Feb 2012 20:50:48
Go to Top of Page

UMU

United Kingdom
343 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  18:48:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish you lived nearer. We seem to have a very similar eye for the fastback, it would be a lot of fun.

good luck bud

Go to Top of Page

UMU

United Kingdom
343 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  18:55:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also for the interior - my dad once fitted capri front seats to his fastback, which fitted well, although required a homemade bracket and they give all the support youd want for the corners

if i find a pic ill pit it on

Go to Top of Page

UMU

United Kingdom
343 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  19:31:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its hardly worth it, but heres the best pic i have. It does show that the seats fit ok.

Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
549 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  10:08:44  Show Profile  Visit 1922's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've had Capri seats in mine for years, first standard MkIII seats and later I replaced them with Recaros from a 2.8i. The mounting base is a little longer and wider, but it's pretty easy to fabricate a some new mounts on the floor. I'll take some pics if you want to see them.

I like the idea of the Silvia engine - sound's like fun.

Go to Top of Page

arrocuda

United Kingdom
501 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2012 :  23:54:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep seats!! 2 rapiers and not a decent seat in either of 'em. The bases are all broken and you are virtually sitting on the floor. I have already bought a couple of tombstones from a suzuki swift.... only today I believe they call them 'high back bucket seats'. Have tried them for size and they fit perfectly but will need a custom made bracket sorting out to support the rear mounts.

Bought some metal from the local steel yard yesterday and will be getting the welding set out in the next few days. The LPG conversion is the main job on the go but as to whether it will work with the ecu on the engine remains to be seen. I'm hoping that it won't effect the ignition advance and retard feedback loop, but if it does then I'll probably end up having to fit a stand alone ignition module and junking the ecu. Apart from that there is only the rear valence which has deteriorated some what since I last poked a screwdriver at it. Never seen a spare valence panel in my life so I'm assuming its on the rare parts list. So when I was cutting up the jag I was on the look out for some similarly curved sheet that I could maybe work into shape and have managed to salvage a couple of likely panels.

If it works out I'll post the repair so others can maybe use it too. Is too bad I'm a little out on a limb up here in the frozen north when most everyone is down in the sunny south.... but you are right about a 'similar eye' Martin. This car is lowered at the front and raised at the rear to accommodate the oversize wheels. The girl I live with says it looks very sinister in black and believes it to be the devil's car! ..... Not sure black was ever an option on the colour chart but this one was originally green although some of the bolt on panels are silver.

Edited by - arrocuda on 13 Feb 2012 00:00:32
Go to Top of Page

Fastback Thomas

Belgium
423 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2012 :  17:53:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've always liked cars that have that muscle car look.
Their rear higher then their fronts..
When we uprated the rear springs on my grand dad's rapier it was sitting a lot higher at the rear, I loved the look of it,
now it has settled in but it still looks nice!

Like the look of yours in general!

'68 sunbeam rapier fastback {B341006846 OD/LHO}
I like a car that looks normal but really knocks your socks off!!
Go to Top of Page

arrocuda

United Kingdom
501 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2012 :  20:05:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fastback Thomas

I've always liked cars that have that muscle car look.
Their rear higher then their fronts..

Me too!

Go to Top of Page

arrocuda

United Kingdom
501 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2012 :  20:16:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have tested the LPG evaporator using a stand alone cylinder and a couple of lengths of gas pipe and the car appears happy to take it but not sure that the feedback loop from the sensors to the ecu is advancing the ignition correctly as it is hesitant to pick up, and sputters a little when it does.

The dizzy has a reluctor disc with an optical sensor that sends a 5v signal to the ecu. (Same as most all EFI cars) Does anyone know of an electronic ignition module that will provide a replacement without all the gizmology associated with an ecu, as emission control is not required for LPG and I'm not looking for optimum efficiency. I'd rather just turn the gas up if I need extra performance rather than mess around with all these unreliable sensors.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000