Quarterlight Seals
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bigt80

United Kingdom
1051 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2012 :  19:45:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All, I thought I'd let you know that we've initiated - with the help of those down-under- the re-manufacture of quarterlight seals for the Fastback. The Archive Trust provided copies of the original drawings for this very complicated part and we've now fronted some monies to help have them made. Should hear something in the next couple of months. I'll keep you posted. I know there was something on Facebook (which I don't have access to) but we've had to buy in 20 advanced pairs, so I hope a few of you might want to take a set.
They won't be cheap. c. �120 for the pair, but if your Fastback has been rebuilt or is in great original condition, then it might be worth the investment. If we can sell a few pairs to start with that will be great and they will be virtually at cost - as were the springs we had done recently, but the main thing is we can get them done. Here's hoping they will be as good as the Series ones which were done by same manufacturer. I'll firm up on price when they're available and will test a pair first, but fingers crossed we will have good news in the spring. Cheers all. Glen.

Edited by - bigt80 on 12 Dec 2012 19:45:47

janmarine3

South Africa
286 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2013 :  05:29:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I purchased a pair of seals from Frank, good quality and it arrived quickly.
Go to Top of Page

bigt80

United Kingdom
1051 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2013 :  09:07:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update. I take it these were for Series car? The Fastback seals were having some alterations made a few weeks ago. Now I'm back I must follow up with Frank to see how things are. G
Go to Top of Page

janmarine3

South Africa
286 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2013 :  16:55:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes the seals are for the series Rapier.
Frank still has a few left.
Just for interest - I did not strip anything to fit the seals, ( it seems to be quite a hassle to remove the 1/4 light frame )I removed the old seal , cut the new seal on the inside only at the hole where the window frame pin goes through and it fits snugly and perfectly with no problem. Perhaps I should glue the seal again where I cut it but it does not seem to be nescessary.
Go to Top of Page

sunalp2

Australia
10 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  00:31:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone have information on the seals from http://www.kipmotor.com/ in the US?

They are much cheaper, but I read a comment somewhere that they did not fit correctly as the moulds were made from dried out originals.

1962 Series II Alpine
1957 Series I Rapier
Go to Top of Page

djnippa

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2013 :  07:08:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found these guys in Australia a while back.
http://www.bodgy.com.au/parts.html

Although I was looking for ones for my Humber Sceptre MK2, which they don't sell.

Go to Top of Page

bigt80

United Kingdom
1051 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2014 :  16:38:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update on Fastback quarterlight seals

Finally got around to fitting the revised seal into the quarterlight frame & I think it is top notch and the quality of the rubber is first class: the only thing they could not do was the longer 'tail' where it meets with the glazing strip, but it is in effect o/e standard - as they short on cars from the factory.
There will be more in the next edition of Cut & Thrust. The price to non-members will be £148 per pair, which I know is lot of money, but there has been a lot of work to get these right.
Of course members will benefit from a reasonable discount, on this 'retail' price; you can contact me for details, but the price to members will be published with the article in C & T in March. If you wish to reserve a set; please contact me. This is a one off remanufacture and no further sets will be made.

Next we'll be looking at the 'Backlight' seal & I will let you know likely cost of these if we can get them done for a sensible price.

Cheers all.

Glen.
Go to Top of Page

bigt80

United Kingdom
1051 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2014 :  15:12:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see that the man who helped develop the seal in Aus is selling for £95 per pair on e-Bay: of course we had the overhead of import duties and postage to incorporate, but obviously I'd prefer it if members purchased from us in the first place; so we are prepared to sell to members for £80 per pair + postage c. £5 (checking on this); so I hope you will support the club and purchase from us if you are a member. If you are not we can only sell at £110 per pair to break even, so you will be better going direct. Anyway, there will be more info in C & T in March, but meantime, once again do contact me if you would like to reserve a pair. They really are a bargain at £80. Thanks to those who have already reserved a pair when they were £118, but of course you will now get them for £80: at least we can recoup some funds for the next project. Cheers. G.

quote:
Originally posted by bigt80

Update on Fastback quarterlight seals

Finally got around to fitting the revised seal into the quarterlight frame & I think it is top notch and the quality of the rubber is first class: the only thing they could not do was the longer 'tail' where it meets with the glazing strip, but it is in effect o/e standard - as they short on cars from the factory.
There will be more in the next edition of Cut & Thrust. The price to non-members will be £148 per pair, which I know is lot of money, but there has been a lot of work to get these right.
Of course members will benefit from a reasonable discount, on this 'retail' price; you can contact me for details, but the price to members will be published with the article in C & T in March. If you wish to reserve a set; please contact me. This is a one off remanufacture and no further sets will be made.

Next we'll be looking at the 'Backlight' seal & I will let you know likely cost of these if we can get them done for a sensible price.

Cheers all.

Glen.

Go to Top of Page

JPSH120

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2014 :  22:52:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's not much help is it Glen and begs the question why we got charged more for a bulk order than he is now selling single pairs for?

Anyway, I'd like to take a pair, we'll have to arrange a meeting soon so I can pick them up.

Go to Top of Page

bigt80

United Kingdom
1051 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2014 :  18:41:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well we weren't as such, it is just the postage and customs duties we had to pay, so I thought he'd be a cheaper - was not expecting them post free on e-Bay though.
Yes, I'll put a pair aside for you and you need your flag pole back too!
Go to Top of Page

bodgy

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2014 :  04:09:55  Show Profile  Visit bodgy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is Frank in Aust and I feel there needs to be some clarification on the prices of 1/4 vent seals for fastback rapier...This was a very difficult and costly seal to make and was only made possible by the help from Glen and financial assistance to pre purchase a quantity of seals from the club for which they did not get a discount buying in bulk. The funds were needed to get this project started.
It took nearly 8 months to get the finished product and it is one of the best seals in fit and quality you will find anywhere... In Australia I do not have to pay import duty or customs but we have no Fastbacks here.... Only a few imported cars. I made 100 pairs of this seal and financially I am no were near covering costs as they have not sold.... I put them on Ebay at the equivalent of $150 Aust dollars and still have only sold 2 pairs... Had I known that owners did not want to buy them or need them I would not have made them to sell approx 30 pairs..
I do this as a hobby and all funds have been returned to manufacture other Rootes group seals...I don't mind if everyone buys them from the club... the club will purchase more from me..... Once sold out they will not be available again..
I have just finished the fuel grommets for Series Rapier and they will be on ebay within a month.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000