The 'Arrocuda' build.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

United Kingdom
549 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2010 :  14:37:04  Show Profile  Visit 1922's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Martin,
I know that a J type will take 130bhp (25 more than an XR3i) as long as you don't try any rally style 6000rpm launches on dry tarmac which can put a twist in the input shaft.
Go to Top of Page

UMU

United Kingdom
343 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2010 :  19:46:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey sorry for my total lack of knowledge, but whats a J type

thanks

Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
549 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2010 :  20:34:23  Show Profile  Visit 1922's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Apologies,
Two types of overdrive fitted to rapiers. Cars up 73ish have Laycock type "D", later cars have a Laycock "J" type overdrive. The "J" type was fitted to Volvo cars till the 80s.
Go to Top of Page

arrocuda

United Kingdom
501 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2010 :  23:17:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't really a plan for the car as it started off as a straight resto' and has kind of evolved really. The turbo idea came about because I was planning to put an LPG conversion on the car anyway, so might as well take advantage of the high octane fuel and put a turbo on. LPG needs a CR of about 14:1 in order to burn efficiently and a turbo is the easiest way to get it and up the performance at the same time. Using LPG is easier too as you can buy and fit the required fuelling equipment relatively cheaply and easily. You can boost as much as the engine and transmission can stand without worrying about detonation.

Not looking for extreme performance figures, just fancy a retro with a little more power than folks would expect. The overdrive is the weakest link as you point out and will probably be the limiting factor, but a lot is down to the way you drive it. Will probably have to try to get used to not using the overdrive as anything more than a cruising gear.

If the transmission fails then I might look around for a more modern beefier 5 speed unit. Might end up having to do it anyway if I get bitten by the boosting bug.

I live in Burnley, Lancashire, but you're welcome to drop in if you are passing by.

Building the '2nd series' fastback Rapier ('Arrocuda').
Go to Top of Page

UMU

United Kingdom
343 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  07:01:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck with everything. Its such an interesting and hopefully rewarding project your doing - look forward to seeing your car when its done

Go to Top of Page

arrocuda

United Kingdom
501 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2010 :  13:30:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks UMU.... things are happening but is slow going overall..... just grabbing a couple of hours occasionally when I can, but more pics are imminent and hopefully will demonstrate the bodywork mods complete... if unpainted. Paint will have to wait till spring time.

Go to Top of Page

UMU

United Kingdom
343 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  20:39:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep up the good work buddy!!
It really is a very interesting project - just try not to outdo mine hey!!

Go to Top of Page

UMU

United Kingdom
343 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2010 :  16:08:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, i was just trawling through the net and came across this site. I watched this car being redone on Custom My ride a while ago - I love it and think you will too.

cheers

the link - http://www.madwhips.com/west-coast-customs-67-barracuda-fastback/

Go to Top of Page

arrocuda

United Kingdom
501 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2010 :  21:23:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw that particular episode only last week. Was a tribute car to Boyd Coddington. Beautiful car I have to admit. A few were converted to RHD for sale here and one I saw on ebay made £11,000. Maybe one day!

Also.... is no plan to upstage anyone on here... there are too few Rootes enthusiasts (particularly f/b Rapier fans) as it is! Also.... there is another twist to the plan that I haven't got around to disclosing yet.

Go to Top of Page

sanchaaze1

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2011 :  18:56:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hiya Tim any more pics and progress?

man with garage of a thousand mouse holes
Go to Top of Page

arrocuda

United Kingdom
501 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2011 :  09:28:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys...... apologies for delay in returning to the thread but not been a good year for me so far and have had more pressing problems to attend to.... so not a great deal of progress to report. Rather than explain I'll post some more pics shortly as the car has to come out of the lock up to move an XJ coupe over in order to create a little space.

Hopefully this weekend I'll have the car AND the camera out! Although the bootlid needs the aluminium strip securing and the surface metal finishing, it's more or less complete enough to imagine how it will look when it's painted.

Back with more soon.

Building the 'Mark II' fastback Rapier ('Arrocuda').

Edited by - arrocuda on 15 Nov 2011 09:29:14
Go to Top of Page

ianh120

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2011 :  23:21:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry too here youve had a bad time but the car will wait look forward to seeing pics regards ian
Go to Top of Page

arrocuda

United Kingdom
501 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2013 :  15:52:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The time has come for a 'splurge' on the project car. Have done some minor stuff but nothing of any note for a while now. Whilst I was having the clearout I almost reversed the car through the back wall whilst perched on a tool box attempting to control it when my foot came off the clutch. Although I was unable to get my foot back on the clutch I managed to cut the ignition with one hand and yank on the handbrake with the other so.... possible disaster was averted.

Anyways... I decided that having bought the seats the next job was going to be to make some subframes. I had removed them so as I could do some remedial welding to the floor on the drivers side. The original seats were completely knackered, particularly the drivers side so I threw them in the scrap skip. Bearing in mind that original Alpine tombstone seats are 'hens teeth' and not much more comfortable than the standard ones, I bought some modern tombstones so as I can use the car in summer as a daily in reasonable comfort.

I decided after taking the old ones out that there was no point in buying anything bigger than you would expect to find in a small hatchback, so taking them out of a Suzuki Swift seemed like a good idea but TBH you don't realise just how small the interiors of old cars are. Fortunately for me, the Swift seats are just a fit but they are on the limit.

I made up a mock frame using some timber batons I had lying around and found that for me to be able to sit in the seat with my legs under the wheel and able to work the pedals comfortably the seats were going to need to be as close to the floor as possible. By the time I got the seats into the ideal location there was sod all left of the subframe with just the one piece of timber about 20mm thick holding the rear seat mounts with the front mounting points on the floor. I'm not a big fella (about 5' 10"), but even with the seats almost on the floor there is only a couple of inches between my head and the rooflining.

Good news is that there isn't much fabricating to do and I've already cut the metal. Here's how they look resting on the timber 'frames'.

You can see from the pic just how big these seats look inside the car.
Welding set out next and I get to cross off another thing off the list of jobs to do.

Go to Top of Page

andyb

United Kingdom
367 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2013 :  16:39:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ready for rapier '13 ?

I have tried to do little but often in the last 2 months and am now enjoying working on mine seems there is always something I am waiting for !

keep it up will be unusual when its finished

sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand
Go to Top of Page

arrocuda

United Kingdom
501 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2013 :  17:37:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyb

ready for rapier '13 ?

As if!!

There is still work to do on the rear of the car, but after nearly pranging it inside the garage that time, I decided that fitting the seats has to be a priority. At least the driver's seat. My problem is that I don't have space all around it to be able to work on it without moving it. I can push it if it's a simple move but if I want to get it out for example, I have to reverse 6 or 7 times so as to get the back end over far enough to clear the door. Sometimes I have to lift the diff and skid the back end on a trolley jack.

All being well I'll have all the bodywork and running gear done by the end of the year but there's still the engine to build. That will need a custom exhaust making up and also... I'm still not happy with the windscreen. Right now I'm waiting for Glen to get back to me regarding Hunter windscreen dimensions, but even if it's narrower it would be a lot of work to fit it. I might just paint the car black as that would improve the look by disguising the rubber seal therefore making the window appear smaller. In fact the more I'm thinking about it.... that's what I'm gonna do.

That's probably saved me another year!! Then I was thinking that maybe quarter bumpers on the front would improve the look by exposing the vent underneath the bumper. I might put that to the vote on here cos I've got a rusty spare bumper I could cut up to try it with. If I decide to go with it I'll have to have them chromed. So still a fair way to go.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000