New Member, New Rapier
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Royston

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2016 :  18:06:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi folks, pleased to report I am the new owmer of 845 BWN or Bwian as he is now called !
Bought it from the previous owner via ebay, and drove it 100 miles home,to East Malling , Kent.It was misfiring and stalling at every junction, but got home. The smell of petrol quite extreme. thorough checking next day revealed a leaking carburettor, spewing petrol directly over exhaust manifold, and on turning engine off a backfire which ignited fuel, blew air filter off and set fire to engine !!
quickly smothered with a blanket, so no long term damage.
Now a few days later, Zenith carb in pieces on dining room table cleaning and renovating, but need to source some gaskets for the two 36WIA-3 carbs.
Despite all a very happy man , looking forward to having fun with my new , old car, with some tours around Kent.
Shame there is no local group in Kent, it would be good to meet up with some other owners to see their cars close up.

jimlagos

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2016 :  19:24:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you had a close shave there. Car looks good though. I hope you get the enjoyment out of it that you want.

jim
Go to Top of Page

onefunkyman

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2016 :  08:50:12  Show Profile  Visit onefunkyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gorgeous colour, must be quite a late S3a?
Go to Top of Page

Royston

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2016 :  21:55:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Getting really excited now as have bought new electronic ignition system ( positive earth) and two new Zenith Carbs, anxiously awaiting delivery.
It would be great to meet up with some other Rapier owners , especially series owners, to see their cars and general chat. I am in Kent , near Maidstone and once my car is cruising nicely I would be very happy to take a trip or two. Retired now I have a bit more time to enjoy good old fashioned driving, purely for the fun of it, rather than for getting somewhere !
Royston

Royston
with a Sunbeam in my life
Go to Top of Page

bigt80

United Kingdom
1051 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2016 :  20:03:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again Royston, only saw this post after I replied to your other one re carb service kits; so maybe you're OK now. Yes, nice colour for the Series car there. I know there is member in north hants/surrey area who is looking to get things going in the SE - I know it is a bit of a distance, but it would be good to have some activity going on in that part of the world, since our previous LAO had to retire from the post on ill health grounds. You may have some responses on here too. Club shows c. 12 members in the SE area Cheers. G
Go to Top of Page

Royston

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2016 :  13:42:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, only 12 of us ! never realised we were such a rarity !
I joined the SROC back in January on 16th, but have not received anything from them yet .Bit of a shame :-(
New carburettors fitted now and car on the road again, but still needing a bit of balancing/ adjustment as running a bit uneven and smell of fuel which seems to be coming from " overflow pipes" from the inlet ports ?
need to check up a bit more as can not really work out what they are there for !
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000